CASE: The George Washington Hotel
INVESTIGATION DATE: 8/1/14
INVESTIGATORS PRESENT: Melanie, Chris, Dave, Nina, Jo, Mike T, Mike P
LUNAR CONDITIONS: Moon 26% full (Waxing Crescent)
SOLAR CONDITIONS: Solar X-rays (active), Geomagnetic field (quiet)
ABOUT THE LOCATION:
The George Washington Hotel is located in the heart of Washington Pennsylvania. Built in 1922 and opened for operation in 1923, the George Washington Hotel has quite an interesting history. The lower level of the hotel once operated as a Speakeasy during Prohibition and the building's fourth floor served as a nursing care facility and residence, until a fire in 2010 destroyed the entire floor. John F. Kennedy gave a speech on The Bay of Pigs in the building's Oval Room and was just one of numerous famous people, including Al Capone, Marilyn Monroe, Harry Truman, The Beatles, and Lou Gehrig, who have stayed at the George Washington Hotel. Actor Corey Haim's last movie, New Terminal Hotel, was filmed there, as well.
As for the haunted history of the George Washington Hotel, there have been numerous claims of activity reported by employees and guests over the years, including a male apparition being seen on the lower level and footsteps and the screams of a female being heard by guests in an area where there were no people. Numerous deaths are reported to have occurred inside the building including a murder that took place when the Speakeasy was in operation and a suicide that was committed by a male in a room on the fourth floor. Various other people are reported to have passed of natural causes in the nursing facility and it is strongly suspected that other, unreported murders took place in the Speakeasy, which is believed to have been run by the mob.
* Mike T felt a cold spot in the basement.
* EMF spikes constant in basement but lots of electrical equipment and boxes in the area.
* MikeT, Mike P, and Chris all heard the sound of a door creaking followed by numerous footsteps walking across floor above them while in basement. The creaking sound could have also been the service elevator but nobody was using that elevator at the time and, upon further investigation, nobody was in the area at all.
* Chris felt unexplained static electricity on arm in the basement.
* Chris, Mike P, and Mike T all heard a loud, unexplained dragging sound in the basement.
* Mike P got chills, cold sweats, and felt light-headed while investigating in the lower level event area.
* Nina, Dave, and Jo all heard an unexplained noise above them while investigating in the basement.
* Jo heard several unexplained sounds in the corner of the room that used to serve as a speakeasy.
* Nina and Jo heard what sounded like a woman's voice in the speakeasy.
* Melanie felt dizzy immediately upon stepping off the elevator onto the fourth floor.
* Mel Meter was inexplicably reading a constant 2.6mg in the bathroom of the room where a man had committed suicide on the fourth floor.
* Nina felt a unexplained static electricity on her legs while investigating the suicide room.
* Jo saw what she described as a shadow in the suicide room.
AUDIO CLIP: This piece of audio was captured while in the basement. Chris, Mike T, and Mike P all hear what sounded like a door creaking open and footsteps walking across the floor directly above them. The door sound also could have been the service elevator, which we were told would not be used at that time. Upon further investigation, nobody was in the area directly above the room (or even on the same floor) where the investigators were at the time and the motion light, which would have been activated had someone recently walked through that area, was off.
Similar to our initial investigation of the George Washington Hotel in July 2013, our follow up investigation provided investigators with several intriguing personal experiences and one piece of potential evidence. While things did seem a bit more calm this time around, the location proved once again to be worth the effort. We were able to find a possible explanation for some of the activity that had been reported to us involving a security guard feeling uneasy to the point of quickly leaving the basement. Mel Meter readings in parts of that area measured as high as 190 mg due to the old but still functioning electrical system in the basement. The effects of that much EMF present were tangible to several investigators and could potentially be enough to cause some people, particularly those sensitive to EMF, to feel uneasy or paranoid.
We also came across a suitcase in one of the old bedrooms on the fourth floor, which served as a nursing care facility at one time. The suitcase contained several old photos, letters, and other personal items. One name that was prevalent was Woody Hamilton, who apparently served in WW2. It seems likely a member of the Hamilton family was once a resident at the hotel. Among the personal effects was a government issued postcard relaying condolences for a young man who apparently had been killed in the line of duty. While it was difficult to piece the information together because there were items present that belonged to other individuals, it is possible that this information links the Hamilton family to the activity that seems to be present in the hotel, and the fourth floor in particular.