PURCHASING AND USING AN I.R THERMOMETER by Chris
IR Thermometers in paranormal investigation:
- Used to measure spikes in temperature that may indicate presence of paranormal activity. It is believed that when a spirit attempts to manifest itself, it draws energy from the surrounding atmosphere thereby producing a “cold spot”.
- Generally, a drop in temperature of 10 degrees (Fahrenheit) or more could indicate presence of paranormal activity.
Using an IR Thermometer on a paranormal investigation:
- Always start by taking a base reading of the area. Take note of any existing factors, such as windows, that may cause fluctuations in temperature.
- Hold the thermometer out in front of you so that you can constantly view temperature readings and sweep area in a slow and deliberate manner.
- If your model has a laser feature and you have it active during sweep, ensure that readings are not the result of laser hitting and measuring temperature of objects in the investigation area. I would recommend disabling laser feature for indoor investigations.
- If possible, investigate with a partner who is utilizing a different piece of equipment such as a camera or EMF meter. Collaborating evidence from two separate pieces of equipment is always more solid than just a spike in temperature. If using a camera in conjunction with IR thermometer (or EMF meter), immediately take photos of any area where spikes occur.
Purchasing an IR Thermometer:
· Price range $25 - $100
· Can be easily found on-line (ebay, paranormal equipment sites, etc)
- Features to look for include –
- Reads temperature in Fahrenheit
- Field of view ratio (ex. 3:1, 6:1, 10:1, 12:1) the higher the
first number, the further away you can measure and expect
an accurate reading.
-Accuracy of +/- 1% - 3%.
- Never point laser directly at someone’s eyes or allow laser reflection to strike eyes.
- Never use laser near explosive gases or in other potentially explosive areas.